An Easter bake with a crunchy base of hobnobs and honey nut cornflakes, a smooth layer of sweet butterscotch and a layer of pure milk chocolate.
These bars have a lot of good things going for them. They’re all about my three favorite things: quick, easy, and delicious.
The combined crunchy textures of the cornflakes, soft butterscotch and pure milk chocolate can be tasted in each and every bite of the slice.
Treat yourself to this tasty slice when you relax with a cup of tea later this afternoon.
- 200g salted butter
- 200g Hobnobs, whizzed in a food processor to fine crumbs
- 125g Honey nut cornflakes
- 175ml evaporated milk
- 150g light-brown sugar
- 45g butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 50g icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 400g good quality milk chocolate
- Mini eggs
- 2 flakes
- Heat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Line a 22cm square tin with baking paper. Melt 100g of the butter and stir through with the Hobnob crumbs and the cornflakes, crushing them slightly. Push the mixture into the base of the tin with the back of a wooden spoon to create a firm, flat base. Bake for 10 minutes on a high shelf, then cool completely.
- For the butterscotch fudge bring evaporated milk, brown sugar, butter, and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, stirring frequently, until mixture registers 236F/114C on a sugar thermometer, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer to a bowl, and beat in confectioners' sugar on low speed with an electric hand mixer. Scrape down sides of bowl as needed. Increase speed to medium, and beat until mixture is thickened and smooth, 2 to 4 minutes. Reduce speed to low, and add the vanilla.
- Spread mixture on top of the cornflake base and put into the fridge while you melt the chocolate.
- Break up the chocolate and put in a large heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water, stirring occasionally. Once melted pour and spread over the butterscotch. Return to the fridge and allow to set for an hour. Remove from fridge and cut into slices. I topped mine with easter eggs and crushed flakes.