This week so far has been beautiful considering we are coming to the end of September. We are holding on to the last of the summer sunshine and what better way to enjoy than with one of these strawberry and cream cupcakes.
Even though I am a huge chocolate lover, these are one of my favorite cupcakes. A light vanilla bean sponge, stuffed with strawberry jam filling, topped with a smooth creamy buttercream frosting and finished with a ripe juicy strawberry, these cupcakes the ultimate indulgence.
You’ll love these Strawberries and Cream Cupcakes because they are easy-peasy. I have a few vanilla cupcake recipes that I use and this is one of my favourites.
I am not a fan of chunks of fruit in my cupcakes so I went with a strawberry jam filled centre.
Just right to serve for birthday parties, picnics, and everything in between!
- 110g unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 225g caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 150g self-raising flour, sifted
- 125g plain flour, sifted
- 120ml semi-skimmed milk (at room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon of good quality vanilla extract
- 65g Strawberry Jam
- 12 Strawberries
- 115g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 tbsp double cream
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 225g icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a 12-hole cupcake tray with cupcake cases. In a freestanding mixer with a paddle attachment cream the butter and sugar until the mixture is pale and smooth, this should take about 3-5 minutes.
- Combine the two flours in a separate bowl.
- Put the milk, eggs and vanilla extract in a jug and gently whisk.
- Add one third of the combined flour to the butter creamed mixture and beat well, then pour in one third of the milk mixture and beat again. Repeat these steps until all the flour and milk have been added.
- Carefully spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases, filling them about two thirds full to allow the mixture to rise when cooking.
- Bake in the oven for about 20 minuets. Remove from the over and allow the cupcakes to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before you move to a wire rack to cool completely.
- While the cupcakes are cooling you can make your buttercream. Put the butter, cream and the vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl and beat until smooth and blended.
- Sift over the icing sugar and, with the mixer on a low speed, continue mixing until the icing is smooth and has a spreading consistency. If it is too stiff, beat in a little extra cream.
- Once your cupcakes are completely cool you can start to add your strawberry jam filling. To do this I use a apple corer to make a small hole in the middle of the cupcake, alternatively you can simply use a sharp knife to make a hole.
- Then pipe or spoon the jam filling into the hole. You can then pop a little of the cake sponge on top so the jam is hidden.
- Top the cupcake with your cream buttercream using a swirl tip within a piping bag. Place a fresh strawberry on the top.