These high hat chocolate cupcakes are such beautiful cupcakes with their big swirls and chocolate coating.
I did it. I finally made them. Hi Hat Cupcakes have been on my do to list for a while but to be honest I’ve been too nervous to make them.
There are three key components to hi-hat cupcakes:
1) Chocolate cupcakes
2) A stiff marshmallow frosting; and
3) A magic shell chocolate coating
So first up, you have to make those chocolate chip cupcakes. I used my favourite chocolate cupcake recipe. Then comes the fun part – the marshmallow icing! It’s not nearly as intimidating as it sounds, trust me.
If you like chocolate, marshmallow frosting and pretty things, you have to make these!
- 75g chocolate chips
- 175g plain flour
- 30g cocoa powder
- 185g caster sugar
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 small eggs
- 120ml cold coffee
- 120ml buttermilk
- 105ml vegetable oil
- 3 egg whites
- 260g caster sugar
- 7 tbs Golden Syrup (or corn syrup)
- ¼ tsp cream of Tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbs water
- Chocolate Coating
- 375g of dark choc
- 3 tbs veg or coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees C. Line a cupcake tin with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl combine the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt and mix to combine. In a separate bowl combine the wet ingredients, eggs, cold coffee, buttermilk and vegetable oil and give it a whisk. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and whisk until all combined
- and is smooth. The batter should be pourable, but not super thin.
- Pour the batter among the cupcake liners. Transfer to the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes, until the tops are just set and no longer wiggly in the center. Remove and let cool completely.
- While the cakes are baking we can make the marshmallow meringue icing. Put the sugar, cream of Tartar, salt, water, vanilla, eggs whites and golden syrup into a heat-proof bowl. Then place the bowl on top of a pan of boiling water. Take your electric whisk out and whisk the mixture until you reach the stiff peak stage. Remove the bowl from the heat and set aside. Once your cakes are cook and have cooled take a piping bag and fill with the marshmallow icing. Pipe a high swirl of icing on top of each cupcake. ( Hold the piping bag vertically to give you an even swirl.) Place the iced cupcakes into the fridge for 15-20mins. This will help set the icing when dipping them in melted chocolate.
- To make the chocolate coating, put the chocolate and coconut oil in a heat proof bowl over a pan of boiling water and allow tot melt. Put the melted chocolate in a mug or tall glass to allow enough depth to dip the cupcakes. Take a cupcakes one at a time and dip them into the melted chocolate. allow the excess chocolate to drip off before returning to the fridge.