These cookie bowls are absolutely perfect for serving mini ice cream sundaes when entertaining!
The bowls are made from a buttery chocolate chip cookie dough that is more delicious than any ice cream cone I’ve ever had – and they are a fantastic way to serve up your favourite ice cream or any other dessert for that matter. It’s a dessert within a dessert.
The key to perfect cookie bowls is for them to be soft and chewy but still able to stand up to whatever you fill them with. The best part is when you finish all of the ice cream and realize there is still a big, fat, soft, gooey chocolate-chip cookie waiting to be devoured!
The bowls can be baked well in advance and they’ll stay fresh for at least two or three days after baking if they are stored in an airtight container. They can be frozen and defrosted at room temperature.
- Dr. Oetker Muffin Cases
- 100 g Unsalted Butter (3 1/2 oz)
- 75 g Caster Sugar (3 oz)
- Egg Yolk (x1 medium egg yolk)
- 5 ml Dr. Oetker Madagascan Vanilla Extract (1 tsp)
- 125 g Plain Flour (4 1/2 oz)
- Dr. Oetker Baking Powder Sachet (1 sachet, 5g or 1 tsp)
- Dr. Oetker Milk Chocolate Chips (x1 pack 100g)
- 200g Vanilla Ice Cream
- 140g Dr. Oetker Surprise Inside Cupcake Centres Rich Chocolate (x1 sachet or 140g chocolate sauce)
- Dr. Oetker Bright and Bold 4-Cell Sprinkles or sprinkles of your choice
- Line a large baking tray with baking parchment. Turn 6 x 150ml (1/4pt) pudding basins upside down on a baking tray and place a Muffin Case over each. In a bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until creamy and well blended. Beat in the egg yolk and Vanilla Extract.
- Sift the flour and Baking Powder on top and add half the Chocolate Chips. Mix together to form a slightly firm dough.
- Divide the dough into 6 pieces and flatten each piece into a round approx. 8cm (3 ¼ inch diameter). Turn your muffin tray upside-down and fit evenly over the tops of the Muffin Cases so that the dough just hangs over the edges. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 190˚C (170˚C fan assisted oven, 375˚F, gas mark 5). Bake the cookie bowls for 12-14 minutes until firm and lightly golden. Leave to cool on the tins for 10 minutes, then gently remove the biscuit cases. Cool on a wire rack then carefully peel away the Muffin Cases.
- Due to the nature of the chocolate chip cookie dough there may be a few holes in the finished bowls. If preferred, use melted Milk Chocolate to patch up any holes. You can also paint melted chocolate round the edges of your cookie bowls and then dip them into sprinkles.
- Just before serving, place small scoops of ice cream in each cookie bowl, drizzle with Chocolate Surprise Inside and sprinkle with Bright and Bold 4-cell mix. Your edible cookie bowls are now ready to serve along with the mini cookies. Enjoy!