The chocolatiers at Hotel Chocolat have created an amazing selection of christmas inspired goodies with new recipes and of course old favourites for the upcoming season.
Ive been lucky enough to try out some of their products and incorporate them into some of my own baking recipes.
The first goodie I chose was their award-winning Christmas gingerbread spread. Lavish on thick cut bread, toasted muffins or Christmas cupcakes. This limited-edition chocolate spread needs to be on your shopping list.
Today I’m excited to share with you a truly delectable recipe – Gingerbread Sandwich Cookies with a buttercream filling has holiday baking written all over it. From festive spices to beautiful presentation, anyone would be happy to see next to the tree, these cookies have got it all.
Let the holiday baking begin and let these cookies be at the top of that holiday baking list! These cookies simply explode with flavour, they are anything but boring. They are loaded with gingery goodness which is deliciously complimented by all the other spices and the treacle just give them such a depth of flavor that you just don’t find in any other cookie.
These cookies are more on the soft and chewy side with those nicely crisp edges, which is the way I prefer them, but if you’d like more of a crisp ginger cookie just bake them a few minutes longer than listed.
These taste like gingersnaps, but the texture is soft. And soft cookies are key to cookie sandwiches. If your sandwich cookies are too hard, you’ll bite into them and buttercream will go all over the place!
- 300g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 170g unsalted butter, softened
- 110g + 3 Tbsp granulated sugar, divided
- 110g packed light-brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 80g cup treacle
- 150g unsalted butter
- 2 tlbs milk
- 320g icing sugar
- 2 tbls gingerbread spread
- In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg for 20 seconds, set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter, 100g granulated sugar and brown sugar until well blended. Mix in egg, then blend in treacle and vanilla. With mixer set on low speed, slowly add in dry ingredients and mix until combined. Cover bowl with clingfilm and chill 1 hour. Preheat oven to 180C.
- Scoop out about 1 Tbsp at a time, shape into balls then roll in remaining 3 Tbsp granulated sugar. Transfer to lined baking sheets, spacing cookies 2 inches apart. Bake in preheated oven 8 - 10 minutes. Cool on baking sheet several minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the gingerbread buttercream beat the butter with an electric mixer for 4 to 5 minutes. Add the milk and the gradually add the icing sugar. Beat for 5 minutes. Next add the gingerbread spread and beat again for another 2 minutes. Put the buttercream into a icing bag fitted with a nozzle. Swirl the buttercream over one cookie and top with another to make a sandwich.