Nothing says Easter like tasty baked treats and here is a perfect recipe that fits that description.
These days one of my favourite Easter food that I look forward to are Hot Cross Buns.
I love the smell of the spices when they are baking and they are just delicious eaten warm smothered with some butter.
Last year I had a go at making my own at home (recipe here).
So this year I decided to try something different…cupcakes inspired by the spices I love in my hot cross buns.
- 25g currents
- 100ml fresh orange juice
- 250g self-raising flour
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 200g caster sugar
- 50g dark brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp mixed spice
- 270g unsalted butter
- 4 large eggs
- 3 tbsp whole milk
- 1/2 tbsp golden syrup
- 4 heaped tbls apricot jam
- 115g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 225g icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 170C.
- Soak the currents in the orange juice for around 30 minutes, then drain.
- Put the dry cupcake ingredients and the currents into a large bowl, then stir to combine.
- Add the soft butter and eggs and beat for a minute with an electric mixer.
- Add the milk and golden syrup, then whisk for 20 seconds or so or until we'll combined.
- Sape down the sides of the bowl and then give the mixture a final blast until everything id fully incorporated.
- Fill the cupcake cases two- thirds full with the mixture and then bake in the oven for around 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in the trays for several minutes.
- While the cupcakes are beginning to cool warm the apricot jam over a medium heat and then brush over the cupcakes using a pastry brush.
- Then move the cupcakes over to a cooling rack to to completely cool.
- In the meantime, make the vanilla buttercream.
- Put the butter, half the milk and the vanilla extract in a large mixing bowl and beat until smooth and blended.
- Sift over the icing sugar and, with the mixer on a low speed, continue mixing until the icing is smooth and has a spreading consistency. If it is too stiff, beat in a little extra milk.
- Place the buttercream into a piping bag and pipe a cross of icing over each cupcake.