I love a good Apple Crumble, slightly warmed and served with custard; so I thought why not turn one of my favourite dessert’s into a fun sized treat. A apple crumble and custard cupcake!
These Apple Crumble Cupcakes are soft, filled with sweet apples and topped with deliciously smooth custard buttercream and a crunchy crumble. The perfect way to enjoy a classic British dessert in my eyes.
These cupcakes are exceptionally tasty due to the combination of soft, moist and crunchy textures and warm, sweet spiced flavours.
The sweet apple sponges are topped with a smooth custard icing, a dollop of apple sauce and a sprinkle of crunchy crumble. Everything that’s great about apple crumble, all rolled into one perfect cupcake.
I filled the cupcakes with chunks of apple and then baked some crumble to sprinkle on top. Perfect for a lazy Sunday afternoon!
For more delicious Apple Crumble recipes with a twist check out HelloFresh.
- 150g unsalted butter, softened
- 150g light brown sugar
- 140g self-raising flour
- 10g cornflour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 apples peeled, cored and diced
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200g icing sugar
- 95g unsalted butter
- 4 tsp custard powder
- 2 tsp whole milk
- 10g butter
- 10g light brown sugar
- 20g self-raising flour
- 20g porridge oats
- To make the cupcakes start by peeling and choosing your apples. Then place into pan with 2 tbsp of granulated sugar and the juice of one lemon. Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer for about 10 mins. Keep and eye on the pan to make sure the apples do not burn. once the apples are soft. take out half and put to once side to make the apple sauce later. Leave the other half to apples to cool.
- Preheat your oven to 160°C and line the muffin tray with cases.
- Beat the light brown sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Sift the flour, cinnamon and baking powder together. Crack your 3 eggs into a jug and add 1tsp of vanilla extract. Mix together. Slowly add a little gg mixture to the butter and sugar with a few tbsp of the flour mixture and beat until just combined. Repeat until all the ingredients are combined.
- Slowly fold the cooled apples until even throughout the mixture.
- Divide the batter between the 12 cases and bake for 25 minutes. Remove and cool in the tins for 10 minutes before moving to a wire cooling rack.
- To make the crumble put all the ingredients into a bowl and mix together with your fingers. Pop into a heat proof dish and toast under the grill until its starts to turn a golden colour. then remove and allow to cool.
- To make the apple sauce Put the other half of the apple mix into a blender and whizz until smooth.
- To make the custard buttercream put all the ingredients into a large bowl and blend until smooth, adding a tsp of whole milk if you need it.
- When the cakes are cool, pipe swirls of buttercream on the cupcakes, fill the centre with the apple sauce and sprinkle the crumble mix over the top.