These Carrot Cupcakes are spicy, sweet, jam packed with shredded carrot and topped with a smooth, fluffy cream cheese buttercream.. Pure heaven in every bite.
I wanted to kick off Spring this year with some Carrot Cake Cupcakes that are perfect for Easter. If you’re looking for an alternative to chocolate this Easter, try my carrot cupcakes topped with smooth orange cream cheese icing.
Carrot cake isn’t always everyone’s first choice, but the addition of freshly grated carrot and pinch of spice make these cupcake burst with flavor.
Naturally tasty and full of goodness, carrots are perfect in these beautifully moist individual cupcake versions of the classic teatime favourite – carrot cake.
- 225g grated carrots
- 130g raisins
- 2 large eggs
- 130g caster sugar
- 120ml Vegetable Oil
- ½tsp vanilla extract
- 1tsp fresh orange zest
- 120g plain flour
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1tsp Cinnamon
- 175g cream cheese
- 450g icing sugar
- 125g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- Zest from one orange
- To make the cupcakes, preheat the oven to 160ºC. Line two 12 hole muffin tins with cupcake cases.
- Combine raisins and the grated carrots in a large bowl and put to one side. Beat the eggs and sugar for several mins and then add the oil, vanilla extract and orange zest and beat well.
- Sift the flour, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon into a separate bowl and then slowly add these ingredients to the egg and sugar mixture, beating well after.
- Then add the carrot and raisins and stir until incorporated.
- Spoon the mixture into the cupcakes cases, filling each case about two-thirds full.
- Place the trays in the oven and bake for approx 25 mins. When cooked the cupcakes will be quite dark brown in colour and feel ‘spongy’ to the touch. Allow to cool in their tins for 10 mins or so before placing on a wire rack to cool.
- For the orange cream cheese buttercream place all ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat well until combined and the icing is pale.
- Once you have iced the cupcakes with the buttercream you can finish them off with a sprinkling of cinnamon or a carrot sweetie!
- These cupcakes will keep well in an airtight container for a few days and should be kept at room temperature. The icing must be stored in the fridge as it contains cream cheese, but will keep well.